Copied from the CRER website
Monday 31st March 2014
Teacher Building, 14 St Enoch Square, Glasgow, G1 4DB
4:00pm – 5:30pm EU Parliament and Elections Information Session
6:00pm-7:30pm MEP Candidate Hustings
Do you know that the EU Parliamentary elections are on 22nd May? Can you name a Scottish Member of European Parliament (MEP)? What’s the difference between the European Council and the Council of Europe?
Don’t worry, you’re not alone.
The European Parliament has been described as one of the most powerful legislatures in the world. Its work has a significant influence on UK and Scottish law, affecting the lives of everyone in Britain. So how come many of us know so little about it and the people that represent us at the EU level?
This CRER event will feature:
- Presentations by Per Johansson, Head of EU Parliament Office Edinburgh on how the EU Parliament works and the upcoming May elections.
- Overview of why May’s elections are so important and what Europe can do for race equality in Scotland.
- Opportunity to question MEP candidates and representatives from Scottish political parties on race equality and the EU in a political hustings.
This is a FREE event. There is no charge for attendance.
Register now to ensure your place!
Register your place by completing the application form here.
If the application form isn’t suitable for you, please contact Nadia Rafiq at CRER: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0141 418 6530.
*Please remember to detail any accessibility or dietary requirements.
3:30-4:00 Registration, Tea and Coffee
4:00-4:10 Welcome: Jatin Haria, Executive Director, Coalition for Racial Equality and Rights (CRER)
4:10-4:30 Per Johansson, Head of Office, European Parliament Office in Edinburgh
- Overview of European Parliament (EP)
- Upcoming elections
4:30-4:50 Alan Anstead, Co-Ordinator, UK Race and Europe Network (UKREN)
- EU Law and the Race Equality Framework
4:50- 5:10 Sarah Isal, Chairperson, European Network against Racism (to be confirmed)
- ENAR’s 7 Equality Demands of the New European Parliament
5:10-5:30 Question and Answer
5:30-6:00 Canapés and Refreshments
6:00-7:30 MEP Hustings
Chair: Professor Colin Clark, Professor of Sociology & Social Policy, University of West of Scotland
- MEP Candidate Ms Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh (Scottish National Party)
- MEP Candidate Mr Asim Khan (Scottish Labour Party)
- MEP Candidate Ms Nosheena Mobarik (Scottish Conservatives)
- Representative from the Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Representative from the UK Independence Party
N N Riaz